One of my favorite profs... ok... my FAVORITE prof... said something today that really caught my attention. As we talked about the parents we would inevitably have to communicate with as teachers, she remided us of one of Stephen Covey's 7 Habits...
Seek first to understand... then to be understood.
Sounds like common sense, right? Not only with the whole parent/teacher thing... but in all relationships. But really... how often do I blurt something out before I really take time to understand what someone is saying and where they are coming from. So often I interject before taking the time to empathize and really get it.
On most days, I would rather listen for hours about the struggles in someone's life than to talk about the struggles in my own life. However, in the quick conversations that take place throughout the day, I can't seem to help but provide my two cents worth at every given chance.
Maybe I should take a little more time to actually understand what the meaning is behind the chit chat. Maybe we should all take a little more time to actually understand...
No comments:
Post a Comment